Thursday, September 1, 2011

learning to love;

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand it's own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustices but rejoices when ever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Taking hold of each sentence of this scripture and putting it into action in my life would have to be the most freeing thing I will ever do.

Learning how to truly love has been a struggle for me. I let my past and my own nature control the way I love those around me. Not just love like boyfriend & girlfriend "love", but TRUE love for OTHERS. My family, friends, and everyone else. Why is it SO easy to act the exact opposite of love to those who you care about the most? Because you know they will still love you? Not a good answer, I tell myself.

I want to be like Jesus, I want to love like He loves.

Unconditional. No matter what others do, to me, for me, around me, anything. I am determined to learn how to love. I am determined to have more patients with my baby nephews, and not be over sensitive and become irritable, to forgive those that hurt me and keep no record of ever being hurt, I am determined to never give up on those I love and to never give up on learning how to love like Jesus: Every Day. Every Situation. Every Circumstance.

Although I have come a long way, I am not near where I am going to be. I will not let my past control me anymore. I will not let hurt turn into anger. I will learn selfless love and put me aside for others, even when I'm hurt, even when I don't "feel" like it. I am going to love and that love is going to continue to set me free!

open up my eyes the the things unseen.

Even if I take two steps forward and one step back (because that's how it usually happens, as I grow) I am going to continue to move forward into the life God has promised me!

Love is not a feeling, it is a choice.
I'm going to choose to love even when I don't want to.

Dig into this:
Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God's people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you. Don't curse them; pray that God will bless them. Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with each other. Don't be to proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all! Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone. Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say. "I will take revenge; I will pay them back" says the Lord. Instead, "If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink. In doing this you will heap burning coals of shame on their heads." Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good. Romans 12:9-21

I just came across this, and it has just fed my Spirit and given me the inspiration I have been longing for. Mm mm mm, the Word of the Lord tastes SO good. I am determined to love!Thank you, Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment